Friday, February 20, 2009

Philosopher schools Op-ed columnist

Hilzoy (of Obsidian Wings) chides George Will for failing to carefully read or failing to read or failing to understand or deliberately misrepresenting scientific work he cites in his recent column on climate change.

She writes, "Where I come from, when someone writes something of the form:  'P is not evidence for Q, and here's why', it is dishonest to quote that person saying P and use that quote as evidence for Q.  If one of my students did this, I would grade her down considerably, and would drag her into my office for an unpleasant talk about basic scholarly standards. If she misused quotes in this way repeatedly, I might flunk her."

I guess Will flunks. Too bad that doesn't mean he loses his influential perch, for as Brad DeLong makes clear, the Washington Post's Ombudsman would fail as well.  


Sigh.  

0 Comments:

blogger templates