Tuesday, March 18, 2008

My Lai

On the topic of anniversaries, last weekend was the 40th anniversary of the My Lai massacre. For those who might not know, the story of My Lai is the story of how American troops descended upon a small Vietnamese village and proceeded to execute its inhabitants. By the end of the nightmare, 500 unarmed villagers were murdered. The American government subsequently attempted to cover it up. Only 1 person was convicted for this crime.

The great Seymour Hersh, the journalist who broke the story, is interviewed about My Lai here . To read his original article, go here.

There are many parallels to Abu Ghraib (incidentally, Hersh is also the reporter who broke that story): a brutal war of choice; the manifestation of evil; government cover-up; and minimal convictions. A final parallel: despite the disgust and moral outrage (or was it moral posturing?), the uncovering of both war crimes did nothing to arrest the momentum of war. We withdrew from Vietnam 4 years after learning of the My Lai massacre, and of course we are still mired in our wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. Despite the significant moral costs and moral taint, it appears impossible to extract ourselves from war in a timely manner. This highlights the imperative of severely scrutinizing the deliberations that lead us into wars.

5 Comments:

Thomas McGonigle said...

You don't really want to discuss. It seems you like to agree with each other. All the posts basically take the same viewpoint on the same old tired ship. Why not take up in regard to Vietnam: Mark Moyar's
TRIUMPH FORESAKEN if you can get beyond the seriosuly misleading review in The Nation which I assume is your Bible

MT Nguyen said...

I'll be sure to look up your book recommendation but for now, instead of complaining of a lack of discussion, why don't you bring up some points to discuss.

And while we're on recommendations, why don't you read Hersh's piece, and tell us what other viewpoint we're supposed to take regarding My Lai.

And if you would like to offer a substantive critique of the "same viewpoint of the same old tired ship," I'm sure we'd all like to hear it. I take it you feel you're sailing on a newer, more enlightened ship. Please share your experience on such a magnificent vessel.

Anonymous said...

I guess I'm still on this tired old ship, but you can see how much things have changed from the new Winter Soldier testimony .

MT Nguyen said...

Thanks for the link, Joshua. It was interesting and instructive.

Machines Take Me By Surprise said...

Hey,
I think I am also on the same old boat, but I agree on something Thomas said: It would be fun if you guys argued with each other. Surely there must be some disagreements, even if from within the general shared outlook. When one reads about two sides of an issue, one is more tempted to take sides and defend it. Make it messy and heated, I say!

blogger templates