Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Desire and mechanisms of cruelty

I hope to say more in the future about appetitive desires and the amoral mechanisms we've set up to satisfy them, but two recent news items bring the topic to the forefront for me. I linked to the story about Valentine's Day and our cocoa supply below. Yesterday, the USDA recalled 143 million pounds of beef. As staggering as that number seems, it represents only 2 years worth of 1 California manufacturer's production.

Upon hearing about the recall, my first thought turned to the sheer wastefulness of it. I don't mean in terms of the market value of beef, but rather in terms of the animals' lives. I don't believe it is morally wrong to consume beef, but our seemingly insatiable desire for it has led to forms of cruelty. We are almost wholly shielded from all this. In fact, the beef recall was precipitated by a secretly filmed video inside of a slaughterhouse. I've seen the video and I can't imagine how anyone can fail to recognize the cruelty exhibited in it. Let's suppose I'm right about that. Assuming that there is some causal connection between the way our livestock is mishandled and our insatiable demand for cheap beef, shouldn't we see it as our responsibility to curb our appetites?

0 Comments:

blogger templates